Tuesday, September 4, 2012

Varnished paper stars

Lately I got addicted to folding paper stars and was considering using them for decorating books. Popped paper stars are fragile though and would immediately flattened down for sure, losing their pretty shape. Then I found this tutorial http://myntkat.deviantart.com/art/How-to-varnish-paperstars-108357944 about using varnish on paper stars to be able to use them as jewelery. I was bit afraid of trying it, since all liquid acrylic varnish I used so far were always sticky and got easily dirty. I bought new one specially for that purpose though, Soluble Varnish Gloss by Daler&Rowney. And I must say, I loved the effect! I really reccomend this varnish for glossing any crafts, they really become nice and glossy, and in case of my paper stars - keep shape perfectly. Here is effect of this little experiment:
Only disadvantage is that paper becomes darker, as you can see on second photo - varnished stars are on right, more glossy but also varnish leaves paper with bit 'wet' feeling. They look more like candy now XD

All in all it's really great method to keep your stars or any other fragile paper crafts in shape. I'm not sure if it will be enough to use them as book cover decoration, but I already planned making some earrings with them : )
Thank you for reading!

No comments:

Post a Comment